Thursday, January 7, 2010

court

As I was writing the actual court part of the script, I had the sudden idea that maybe instead of Kate arguing Limits is innocent (since he clearly killed someone and injured two other people) I would have her change the plea that Aubrey kept telling her to take and get Aubrey to accept a plea of guilty by self defense. This would be the big turning point that leads to Act 3. Kate would argue that Limits asked for help and didn't receive none, he thought he was in danger and protected himself. She's would argue that mental abuse is just as harmful as physical abuse.

I'd have to research if whether or not this is plausible in terms of how to change a plea, when, and all the details of the self defense plea, but it's just something I've been thinking about...and this would take place before the trial starts (the day Kate gives her opening statement) depending on if that's actually legally how it's done.

1 comment:

  1. I think there's actually a couple of different legal questions involved in this. We'll deal with them after the first draft is done.

    ReplyDelete