Sunday, March 13, 2011

Swing the Bat Often

If anyone reads this blog other than Professor Kaufhold, this may be good advice for you (just read it in my "Buzzmarketing" book while studying for my final).

Swing the Bat Often.

The best "big" ideas don't come in the beginning. In the book, the author gives an example that Henry Kissinger once sent back a paper to his senior writer 5 times with a note, "it can be better" without reading the paper. Kissinger knew that rewrites were needed because it takes time to make anything really good. If you keep throwing out ideas, eventually you'll think of the big one.

Moral of the story, I'm not getting discouraged by my senior project, and no one else should either if they are really putting in the effort. All first drafts are shitty. Take a look at some of the best movie scripts and see how they are different from the films, because they are. Even though this concept is repeated over and over, I still hear from students that they're bummed about their first draft. No matter how bad mine is, I'm still very proud of it, because I know I'm completely out of my comfort zone with this script and that's a good thing for me. Lots of writers are encouraged to write what they know, but nothing is more challenging, more fulfilling, and more FUN than using the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment